On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 10:01 AM Wes Turner <wes.tur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do namespaces offer over forking, diffing, reviewing the latest
> commits, and installing from your GH fork URL commit hash?

IIUC, one of the primary objectives for namespaces is to enable a user to
store state like ("We've reviewed this and consider this version acceptable
for our purposes")

PyPI already hosts 1 copy of each build of each version of each package for
everyon.

> When I try to install 'westurner/pip' and 'pip' is already installed, what
> should it do?
>
> Should pypa/setuptools_scm include the namespace in the version tag?
>
> If my concerns include integrity and availability in a risky environment,
> why rely upon PyPI for hosting (manylinux2010 binary) wheels at all? (You
> can run warehouse and/or devpi on-prem and keep that upgraded and baselined)

Or by privately hosting just a directory of packages and setting
PIP_INDEX_URL.

> Will pip throw an exception if my local warehouse or devpi package isn't
> signed with 'a key recognized by upstream'?

Will the TUF implementation need any changes to support namespaces?

"Roadmap update for TUF support"
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/5247

> "PyPI security work: multifactor auth progress & help needed"

https://discuss.python.org/t/pypi-security-work-multifactor-auth-progress-help-needed/1042/10

(Docker Notary does TUF today)