What timeline are we thinking is realistic for rolling out the new pip resolver? (latest update on resolver work: https://pradyunsg.me/blog/2019/08/06/pip-update-2/ ) I'm re-upping this question which I originally asked on a GitHub issue about the rollout: https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/6536#issuecomment-521696430 and would prefer to corral answers there.

This depends a lot on Pradyun's health and free time, and code review availability from other pip maintainers, and whether we get some grants we're applying for, but I think the sequence is something like:

1) build logic refactor: in progress, done sometime December-February
2) UX research and design, test infrastructure building, talking to downstreams and users about config flags and transition schedules: we need funding for this; earliest start is probably December, will take 2-3 months 3) introduce the abstractions defined in resolvelib/zazo while doing alpha testing: will take a few months, so, conservatively estimating, May 2020?
4) adopting better dependency resolution and do beta testing: ?

Is this right? What am I missing?

I ask because some of the info-gathering work is stuff a project manager and/or UX researcher should do, in my opinion, and because some progress on the increase in metadata strictness https://github.com/pypa/packaging-problems/issues/264 and other issues might help with concerns people have brought up here.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
PyPI project manager, PyPA member & coordinator, and person who seems to write a lot of grant applications