On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 03:12, Sumana Harihareswara <s...@changeset.nyc> wrote:

> What timeline are we thinking is realistic for rolling out the new pip
> resolver? (latest update on resolver work:
> https://pradyunsg.me/blog/2019/08/06/pip-update-2/ ) I'm re-upping this
> question which I originally asked on a GitHub issue about the rollout:
> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/6536#issuecomment-521696430 and would
> prefer to corral answers there.
>
> This depends a lot on Pradyun's health and free time, and code review
> availability from other pip maintainers, and whether we get some grants
> we're applying for, but I think the sequence is something like:
>
> 1) build logic refactor: in progress, done sometime December-February
> 2) UX research and design, test infrastructure building, talking to
> downstreams and users about config flags and transition schedules: we
> need funding for this; earliest start is probably December, will take
> 2-3 months
> 3) introduce the abstractions defined in resolvelib/zazo while doing
> alpha testing: will take a few months, so, conservatively estimating,
> May 2020?
> 4) adopting better dependency resolution and do beta testing: ?
>
> Is this right? What am I missing?

These numbers sound plausible to me, and there don't appear to be any
major bits missing.

I agree that separating out the requirements gathering and UX feedback
work from the core development task would be a good idea (it's a
distinct skillset, and large parts of it can take place alongside the
refactoring and development).