Hi Jo,

This all looks good to me! Some thoughts in response:

> 1) Code of conduct / diversity statement

I think it's interesting that both you and Kathleen (whose list of
suggestions on the OSMF mailing list was widely supported) opened with
this idea. So maybe it's the first thing we (meaning this mailing
list) should get down and detailed with. I'd suggest we start a thread
dedicated to that specific goal.

Also, I wonder how we will achieve closure with this. If we discuss
and refine these documents here, what approach should we take to
making it "official"? For HOT it's easier to make something official
because there is slightly more of a hierarchy, the HOT board can adopt
it and it's official, whereas the OSMF board doesn't seem to see
itself in that kind of role.

I guess one approach would be: (a) develop a proposed code of conduct
/ diversity statement here on diversity-talk; (b) discuss it with the
osm community more widely; (c) propose a resolution at the next OSMF
AGM for "recognition" by the OSMF (ie to be voted on by attendees, so
it's a representative decision and the board can be comfortable it's
not acting beyond its remit)?

> 2) Outreach and sponsorship at events

Yes. Your point about focus resonates well. I remember organising a
(non-osm) conference and proposing a bursary scheme to encourage
women, and the women on the organising team felt that focus would just
feel weird. So instead we provided a very low-barrier bursary scheme
with a loosely-specified purpose, and that definitely enabled some
people to come who would not have done otherwise. The "bursary scheme"
was simply a free ticket into the event - very easy to administer, no
money to mess with - so I'd recommend all SotM organisers should
consider it.

Oh and I already mentioned on the OSMF list, this initiative to
sponsor childcare:
<http://www.engineering.ucl.ac.uk/blog/news/ucl-engineering-provide-childcare-uk-technology-festival/>
I think it's such a win-win that I'm mentioning it again.

> 3) Meetups and mapping parties with different communities

Yes. Here in London, one thing that's been fantastic is that the
humanitarian mapping events have attracted a much different crowd from
the other OSM meetups. This recent experience suggests to me that a
good strategy is for a local community not to try and force "OSM
meetup format" to be a "diverse format" - e.g. don't give up on pub
meetups, despite certain issues with that,  but instead try and
encourage a patchwork of different types of event. I'm thinking this
through gradually but that's my current opinion, and I hope it meshes
with yours...

Best
Dan