On 10/8/2014 1:36 AM, Dan S wrote:
Also, I wonder how we will achieve closure with this. If we discuss
and refine these documents here, what approach should we take to
making it "official"? For HOT it's easier to make something official
because there is slightly more of a hierarchy, the HOT board can adopt
it and it's official, whereas the OSMF board doesn't seem to see
itself in that kind of role.
There are procedures for adopting policies. In the case of a policy like this, it would first be consulted on with the wider community, then work its way through the procedure (http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Management_Team/Statutes#Policy_Procedure). In this process it would probably go through a couple of revisions. I wouldn't worry about the exact details for now, as we've got no text yet. When we have actual text and it has community support, the other steps will fall in to place.

It's important to remember the limits of any policy. It will only have moral force on non-OSMF communication channels (e.g. Twitter, non-OSMF mailing lists, local groups). Having been subjected to a good deal of abuse, I know that there's a fair portion that no OSMF policy can impact.