On 3/14/2018 6:47 PM, alyssa wright wrote:
Hi all,

City Lab article below on gender disparity in OSM. I actually think things have evolved and are more nuanced then ever before. Wondering if I am being naive.

Yes - part of the thesis of the article is based around the claims of what gets mapped. The claims in the article do not reflect reality.

OSM has more childcare centers (amenity=kindergarten) mapped than sports arenas or sports arenas, the examples from the article. I couldn't figure out what tags Levine was talking about for strip clubs.

For healthcare, the claims are vaguer, but as a general rule, "primary" information like something being a doctor's office, clinic, or other healthcare facility gets mapped faster than "subtag" information like what type of specialty the doctor's has. This is normal - when I'm out mapping, noting where there's a doctor's or clinic is more important than what type it is. You see the same in other subtags.

 Looking at what healthcare facilities is tagged with that additional information, and ignoring "general", the five most popular are "Obstetrics and gynaecology", "Ophthalmology", "General (internal) medicine", "Paediatrics", and "Trauma and orthopaedic surgery". (UK terms).

The gender percentages are interesting, and if accurate, put a much lower value on percentage of mapping that HOT does than I've seen in the past. I suspect there are some problems with different sources of numbers, and the numbers cited not being accurate.

[1]: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/healthcare%3Aspeciality#values