On 2019-04-14 3:03 p.m., dinesh.jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID wrote:
I would like to suggest another approach at measuring the funnel. I don't know
whether this is feasible either but its just an idea that I'd love some feedback
on. Most Apache projects seem to be using Jira. Contributors, Committers, PMC &
Members are typically are on Jira. I think code as well as non-code tasks should be
tracked on Jira boards.

Most, but not all - and, critically, the projects that are the most tapped into communities *outside* of the ASF are using GitHub issues and have dropped JIRA entirely. Ignoring these will ignore a statistically important part of our potential contributors. (I don't like the word "funnel" here, it sounds too sales-y.)

A potential solution to gather data would be to add a few optional biographical
fields that Jira users can fill out. We can also show a one time call to action
screen when they next login. The user should be able to easily dismiss it if
they don't want to participate. This approach doesn't burden the PMC and we
would have a better shot at getting data automatically. It also doesn't spam
anyone's emails.
A slight variation of this idea is to not add any biographical fields to Jira,
instead the screen directs the users to fill out the survey. However, I think
adding the Biographical fields is better in the longterm as we will collect
this data automatically as new people sign up in the Jira.
Finally, this is just an idea, I am not sure about its feasibility with respect
to the Foundation's policies and legal requirements. But if we think this is a
good idea, we can figure out answers to those questions as a follow up.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Dinesh

     On Sunday, April 14, 2019, 3:12:38 AM PDT, Sam Ruby