On 15/04/2019 11.36, Joan Touzet wrote:

On 2019-04-14 3:03 p.m., dinesh.jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID wrote:
I would like to suggest another approach at measuring the funnel. I don't know whether this is feasible either but its just an idea that I'd love some feedback on. Most Apache projects seem to be using Jira. Contributors, Committers, PMC & Members are typically are on Jira. I think code as well as non-code tasks should be tracked on Jira boards.

Most, but not all - and, critically, the projects that are the most tapped into communities *outside* of the ASF are using GitHub issues and have dropped JIRA entirely. Ignoring these will ignore a statistically important part of our potential contributors. (I don't like the word "funnel" here, it sounds too sales-y.)

We have an Apache metrics project, Kibble, that can keep track of both jira and github (and whatever else we use). What I would love here, is if we can agree upon, or find, or invent, a set of KPIs that are programatically measurable and recommend these to the Kibble project as an enhancement of their metrics program. It could be done in tandem with a set of recommendations to projects on how to ensure that we can capture non-code contributions in a fashion that is measurable within the technological scope we normally have, so that 1) We have a set of recommended ways of recording the activity that perhaps doesn't get as much recognition and visibility as it should, and 2) get a way to measure, visualize and report on these activities.

I am not suggesting that these be 'the truth', I'm always in favor of following up quantity with quality, but it might be a good step in the right direction.

With regards,
Daniel.