tannaroo wrote:
> ok. what connection/how do I attach my Pi/Hifi Berry Amp to the stereo
> amplifier? HDMI?

The Hifi Berry Amp would not be needed in this case.  Audio out from the
Pi to the stereo amp can be achieved in various ways.  It depends on the
capabilities of the stereo amp.  If the amp has a USB input then that's
probably the easiest: USB 'out' from the Pi to USB 'in' to the
amplifier.  Alternatively you could replace the Hifi Berry amp with a
digi board, which would likely have coax and toslink outputs depending
which one you get.  Or you could use a DAC board to provide stereo
analogue outputs - probably the most compatible with any conventional
analogue amplifier.  You could even use the 3.5mm jack output from the
Pi, but the other options would likely give you better sound quality.
*EDIT:  And not to ignore your suggestion - HDMI is also a possibility
if your amp supports that as an input.