On Thu, Sep 1, 2016, Tim Graham <timogra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'll
>admit that I don't really understand how git merging works but I find
>Django's cherry picking of commits to make backports to be very reliable in
>terms of making history bisectable.

Hi Tim.

We're still trying to work out the right way to do this.

See <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-cms-developers/0j20E9_5gOA>.

As I understand, when a commit is cherry-picked into a different branch, it
acquires a different hash, so there is then no easy way to work out whether the
same code is in both branches (they don't share a commit history that can be
compared).

This makes it difficult to ensure that things are correctly ported forward or
backwards when required.

On the other hand, merging (which does preserve hashes/history) is an
all-or-nothing process, so not always suitable.

I'd love to know a way out of this dilemma.

Daniele

--
Message URL:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/django-cms-developers/topic-id/message-id