It is currently very difficult to have models anywhere except models.py.
The reason is to do with the way that the ModelBase metaclass (1) works
out the app_label, (2) adds the '_MODEL' attributes to the module
containing the model classes.  Importing the model classes into
models.py doesn't help much at all (although it will get enough working
for using an interactive prompt), because it happens much too late.

Any ideas about how to handle this?  The relevant bits, as far as I can
see, are in:
models/db/base.py  - ModelBase.__new__
models/db/options.py - DEFAULT_NAMES (you could add 'app_label' to that,
which would solve (1) but not (2)

Luke

--
"I regret I wasn't born with opposable toes." (Calvin and Hobbes)

Luke Plant || L.Plant.98 (at) cantab.net || http://lukeplant.me.uk/