hugo wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> So, what's stopping Django from switching to unicode? Is someone working on
>> it? And finally, what should I do to see my sweet Django fully
>> unicode-aware? :)
>
> Well, as a start, take a look at the impact analysis page at
> http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/UnicodeInDjango and contribute
> updates to that list with regard to m-r. :)
>
> I started on collecting that stuff to see what would actually have to
> be done for unicodefication of Django, but due to other work related
> projects that didn't include Django stuff, I am a bit out of the loop.
>
> The problem with unicodefication is, it will most definitely be not
> backward compatible in all circumstances, so it really would be a good
> idea to have a list of things that are affected by it.

what i think we are missing the most is to hear about the "main"
developers (project owners?) (adrian, malcolm, jacob etc.) opinion about
unicode-ification. if they think we should switch django completely to
unicode, then fine. but if they think that django should still support
bytestrings, i really don't see how we could do the unicode-ification
without breaking backwards compatibility.

gabor