Unless I missed something, the default escaping proposal hasn't been
committed.  And I've had an idea that I don't think came up, that I
thought was perhaps worth throwing into the mix.

Basically, {{   }}  does escaping automatically, and {!   !} doesn't.

Of course, we can then argue about whether it should be the other way
around, or flame each other about favourite punctuation marks, but you
get the idea.  (IMHO, I think using ! for strings that could be
dangerous is a fabulous idea and anyone says otherwise is a luser ;-)

Advantages: it's dead simple, and, as presented, it solves the escaping
problem without making it (much) harder to handle strings that
shouldn't be escaped.

Main disadvantage: as presented, it's backwards incompatible.

Sorry for not being around much, btw, been a bit busy.

Luke

--
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg,