On 8/7/06, Kevin Menard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Please see my message later is this thread that clarifies a bit.  As
> an example, I would consider database settings to be a user-based
> setting whereas something like MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES or ROOT_URLCONF to
> be project-wide.
>
> To me it seems clear that there are options each developer is apt to
> change for a local dev environment and others that should be common
> for everyone.  Are you suggesting that there are no common settings
> and each developer should manage everything himself?

The thing is, there's no foolproof distinction between what settings
should differ for dev environments and which ones are definitely for
production environments. You gave the examples of MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES
and ROOT_URLCONF, but those settings are almost always different
between dev and production for my own personal projects. Point is,
every developer is different, and we shouldn't waste the time in
trying to come up with some sort of framework on top of the settings
framework.

If you and your development team find yourselves duplicating settings,
by all means factor them out into a common, shared settings file.

Adrian

--
Adrian Holovaty
holovaty.com | djangoproject.com