I'm really feeling for our Rails Core friends... they're getting
blasted right now for not having a complete policy for releasing and
communicating urgent security flaws. I'm not poking fun, this is pretty
serious stuff.

Read here for some of the comments they're getting today via
Reddit.com:
"Mandatory security patch issued for Rails, but the vulnerability is
not disclosed. "
http://programming.reddit.com/info/cvlr/comments

Rather than poke fun or make light of the today's situation with Rails,
I'd rather like to turn the focus on the Django project and play the
"But what if it happened to you?" game.

I heard way-back-when that Django was security-audited, and found to be
secure, but that was (I think) before Django was open-sourced, and I
don't remember seeing many details.. However, doing a quick search for
"security" of the Dev list shows this message from Jacob:
http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/msg/682543e6c084ff75

Should someone commission a new audit given the amount of code changes
in Django since last year? (It would be a great opportunity for some
company <cough Google cough ThoughtWorks cough WorldOnline /> to
sponsor.

A few questions:
1) If there was critical security flaw found in Django (any version)
today, are there plans in place on how to deal with it? If so, are
those plans posted anywhere? If not, let's roll up our sleaves and do
it! :-)

2) Is there a Django mailing list for security alerts? If not, let's
create one!

3) What are some projects to emulate in terms of "They do security
right"? I've heard Debian has good policies and execution on those
plans. Any others?

Having an emergency plan ready to go the moment a security issue crops
up is one of those things that will really ease the mind of an
"enterprise" flirting with the idea of going Django. It's also an area
where Django can really shine compared to other web frameworks (Python
or otherwise).

-Jason