Jeremy Dunck wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Bill de hÓra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Now. Most (all?) browser UAs sniff the content to second guess the media
>> type. They don't much pay attention to Content-Type (I think maybe IE
>> ignores it altogether). The problem for this example is they might be
>> doing something similar for character encodings declared on the form
>> page's GET request. Browsers do this because so much served content is
>> mislabelled (eg feeds served as text/html and video as text/plain).
>
> IE doesn't totally ignore it.  I just does some horrible, wrong things
> while considering it.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/moniker/overview/appendix_a.asp
>
> Ian Hickson says contenttype is dead:
> http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1144794177&count=1
> http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1154950069&count=1

hmmm.. sad to hear that.. but it hopefully does not affect the
django-unicode issue too much...

currently my plan is to have the following behaviour:

1. i assume that every GET/POST param comes in encoded as
settings.DEFAULT_CHARSET, and will decode it accordingly. if it fails,
then it fails.
        - might make an exception and in case of post-data check the
content-type header of the request, whether it contains any charset stuff
        -if you really-really-really need to do some crazy
is-sent-as-foo-but-has-to-be-treated-as-bar, you can always use the
raw-postdata and raw-getdata.

2. will render the template in DEFAULT_CHARSET

3. will assume the database is in DEFAULT_CHARSET
        - maybe can we somehow ask the db for it's charset?

so, what do you think?
or should we make it possible to have a system with mixed charsets?
(well, maybe having a different DB_CHARSET and a DEFAULT_CHARSET could
work. maybe)

gabor