I agree with you what absolutely need to be included to the dajngo web
site is at least a pointer to the code repository. It would also be
nice if djangoproject could host the project documentation. However I
think that it would be great to have a sandbox for each project where
visitor can experiment with the end result. Then people will be able to
dig in the code repository to learn from the part they are interested
in.

I would dream of something that is dynamically building the sandbox
from the trunk of the code repository. Ouuups I was again starting to
dream ....  :-) sorry for that.

In conclusion I am voting +1 for having a known places where people can
share the creation done on top of django.