On 8/26/06, Bjørn Stabell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, a lot of things would be better handled at the database level,
> e.g., inheritance, views, more advanced validation, but it would break
> database independence.

Inheritance makes sense in the ORM, because we want to be able to map
inheritance of code classes to some form of relations in database
tables.

Mapping a single code class to multiple tables, though, is something
that can go either way; from an efficiency standpoint, it's probably
best done via a view at the database level, but if someone can point
to a common enough use case I (personally) would start seeing the
argument for supporting it at the framework level getting stronger.

> I'll add another thing to the wish-list for the framework: database
> schema/data migration.

Help us test it:
http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/branches/schema-evolution

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
  -- George Carlin