I can understand the desire to keep the branch count low, but looking at the number of people asking for Unicode support, and the broad applicability it would have, and the comparitvely low demand for row-level permissions and multi-db support, I would argue for starting the Unicode branch now.  It may be finished, tested, merged and on the trunk before the other branches are done.  I know that will make merging the other branches more difficult, but Unicode support is in high demand.

--Ned.