Honza Král wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have been playing around with newforms for some time. since I don't
> come from an English speaking country, I did also put the unicode
> stuff to the test.
>
> It has bitten me on several occasions. I agree that I am not used to
> python unicode strings, but that doesn't make it smaller problem:
> I was bitten by unicode in views, backend, form definitions and even
> templates.
> for example try:
>
> {{ form.field.errors|join:"</li><li>" }}
>
> when using a non-ascii characters...
>
> It simply doesn't work well, and I doubt it ever will work 100% -
> mixing unicode and bytestrings.
>
> Please do not take me wrong - I still love newforms, I think its the
> right way to go.
>
> I see several ways how to solve this problem:
>
> 1) migrate django to unicode aka big bang approach
>   + cleanest
>   - most work
>   - may break some code

there was a plan to migrate django to unicode (i once created some
simple patches...), but then it was decided, that there are too many
branches currently, so that first some branches should be closed (merged
back into the trunk), and then a unicode-branch can be created.

but that all happened approx. 5months ago, and the branches are still
not merged (because they are not finished yet), and it does not seem
that they will be merged in the near future...

gabor