> == Other must-haves ==
>
> There's a few other things that aren't "unstable" per-se, but are must-haves
> for 1.0.  I know everyone's gonna have their own list

As a noob I think you would be making a mistake without a simple Django
installer for Windows, one that installs everything needed along with a
non-trivial sample application that people can explore.

Since the 1.0 release will cause a lot of people to consider looking
seriously at Django and perhaps even Python for the first time, it make
sense to lower the barrier to actually doing something useful and
seeing how powerful Django really is. I wasn't sold until I had gone
through the tutorial.

Getting to the point of being able to start the tutorial is actually
more complicated than doing the tutorial. Though I admit it is not too
difficult, there are plenty of places where one can screw up with the
semi-manual approach currently required.

I'd be happy to take on the installer part if no one else better
qualified steps up. I would also be happy to deal with a non-trivial
example as soon as I have one. However, I am sure my use of
Python/Django idiom will be suboptimal and there is probably something
in existence that would be a better example.

One possibility is taking the Tutorial a bit further and having some
professional quality templates designed so that it looks impressive.
This way prospective users can see what the end result looks like and
then the tutorial can take them from scratch to building that example.
I can help out here as well if need be.

What sort of timeframe do you envision for 1.0 a few weeks, a few
months?

- Curtis