I've gone ahead and added a patch to this ticket which adds
'django.core.context_processors.media' and places it in the default
TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS tuple (and documents the new processor and
its inclusion in the default setting). The context processor simply
adds the values of the ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX and MEDIA_URL settings to
RequestContext.

I know Adrian's argued that this is feature creep, but in this
particular case I'm not convinced. If we don't offer something of this
nature, then a user of Django has two choices:

1. Couple templates to particular sites by hard-coding these values
into the templates.
2. Add repetitive code to each new project to duplicate what this
context processor would do.

Neither of those is a good option, so I think we ought to be providing
this processor or something very much like it.

The reasoning for these two settings, and *only* these two settings, is:

* There are lots of things which live under MEDIA_URL which aren't
accessible by a 'get_FOO_url' method -- not every image in the media
root will correspond to an ImageField of an object in the DB, and CSS
and JavaScript won't ever live in the DB, period.
* ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX is useful for anyone who wants to re-use bits of
the admin JavaScript or the various images (like the little
exclamation mark to put next to an error message) in public views.

Can we get a reconsideration of this?