In working a bit with this, I noticed something. Once these constant
definitions are moved outside the main field namespace, there's no
longer a clash of functionality between standard fields and these
constant values. That clash was the primary reason I had to recreate
the basic functionality of built-in field types, so they had different
semantics.

Now that they're being moved out, do you guys think it would make more
sense to just use the standard field types? I haven't done too much
with it yet, but it looks like it should work just as well (better,
really, with more available types and less app to maintain).
Essentially, the class would then look quite a bit like a regular
model, only using a different subclass than models.Model (and without
any methods).

The biggest potential pitfall I see is confusion among an Options
class and a Model class, since they'd look so much alike. I look at
newforms, and how they redefined their own fields, which is due to
form fields having inherently different functionality from model
fields.

There's also something to be said for confusion caused by the overkill
of using model fields for this. After all, this app won't have the
concept of core, unique, default, editable, db_column, etc. Some users
might supply values for those, thinking it would have some impact, but
nothing would be different.

On the flipside, however, there's something to the notion of using
*some* existing model field functionality. Currently, for instance,
there's no allowance for blank, choices, radio_admin, or help_text. I
suppose given the short list of borrowed functionality, it would be
simple enough to duplicate, but I'm not a fan of reinventing the
wheel. Thoughts?

-Gul