Just thought I'd mention one other point to consider: at least in
postgresql, there is a configuration option to transform "= NULL" to
"IS NULL" on the fly. [1] So if you're using "= NULL" (which is an
error in virtually all cases) you may get different results on
different databases anyway. Using "IS NULL" is unambiguous.

[1]
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/runtime-config-compatible.html#GUC-TRANSFORM-NULL-EQUALS