On 8/5/07, Alex Nikolaenkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    ** I've posted corresponding ticket.
>    http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5090
>    Now it is closed as "won't fix". At least the resolution should be
>    changed to "By Design" if you guys don't like sites built on django
>    being convenient.

OK, so before I address your question I need to deal with some
administrivia first:

(A) Being a dick will get you exactly nowhere. I'm going to assume
that you didn't mean to troll here and actually answer your question.
Uou should know that when you use this tone, you're likely just to
piss people off, and that's exactly the wrong way to make an argument.

(B) Reopening tickets because you disagree with the resolution is also
quite impolite. Bringing the issue here is the right way to go, but
leave the ticket closed unless you can convince us to rep-open it.

Right, so moving on to your real question:

>    Here is an example of case-insensitive urls. They rock:
>    http://www.askeri.ru/PUBLISH/
>    http://www.askeri.ru/publish/

They do indeed rock. Luckily, supporting them is super-easy::

    (r'(?P<slug>[\w]+)/$', my_view)

    def my_view(request, slug):
        o = MyObject.objects.get(slug__iexact=slug)

Bingo; case-insensitive URLs! Rock on.

The point is this: if we hard-code case-insensitivity into Django,
then developers won't be able to produce case-sensitive URLs if they
need to. If, however, we don't hardcode anything, developers can do
whatever they want.

If we introduce this very small convenience, we'll be taking power
away from developers. That goes directly against Django's

>  * What do you think about including Web Typography support as a
>    built-in django feature?

I think it's a great idea. We currently don't have a process by which
apps are added to contrib, and that's the only thing holding us back.
I'm working on proposing such a process, and once the development
community has had a chance to tell me where I got it wrong, typography
is one of the first things I'd like to propose for addition to
contrib.

Jacob