Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> On 8/23/07, Gábor Farkas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i posted this one week ago, could someone with commit access please
>> respond to it?
>
> If we're haven't addressed these tickets, it's not because we don't
> want to - we have just had other priorities. Remember - we're all
> volunteers.

sure,

i'm sorry if it seemed as being inpatient. i simply sent a reply to the
mail to be sure that the topic is not forgotten or skipped-by-mistake.
(so it was about my mail, not about those tickets)

> As you correctly noted, you can already do what you proposed without
> making any changes in trunk. You can override _collect_sub_objects or
> delete() to implement whatever behaviour you want.

to be correct, yes, i can do it, but it will be a hack (relying on an
unpublished internal implementation-detail(that delete() calls
_collect_sub_objects)),

meaning i will have to read the diffs everytime django is updated to be
sure it does not break my code (because i won't be able to rely on the
backwards-incompatible-changes page in this case).

 > So - Feel free to work up the patch you describe and circulate it, but
 > I don't think it would be accepted to trunk.

thanks, this was more&less what i wanted to know.

 > Alternatively, if you
 > want to take a serious swing at the ON DELETE issue, we would welcome
 > any contribution

well, ON DELETE is a much larger topic than what i can handle currently,
that's why i thought that perhaps simply making _collect_sub_objects
public would allow the developers to customize the delete-behavior in a
clean way. but if it's not the acceptable way, i can live with that.

thanks again, and sorry if my response seemed inpatient.

or, to turn this into more constructive discussion, what's the preferred
thing to do, when someone does not get an answer to such a 'design
decision needed'  mail? should he wait more than i waited before he
re-sends his question? how much? a month? i really do not know what is
the 'accepted' or 'patient' or 'nice' behavior in such cases...

gabor