On 10/2/07, shabda.raaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would a web search be a good addition to the contribs framework? I am
> willing to code this. But before doing that, I just want to make sure
> it would be useful to people :)

It could be. It depends on exactly what it does, and how well it does it.

The philosophy we are currently taking to contrib apps is this:

If you think you have a great idea for a contrib app, start a google
code project (or similar public repository) as a testbed for your
ideas. Develop your contribution, with documentation and tests.

Try to make your application as standalone as possible. However, if
you need to make modifications to Django itself to make your
application work, try to come up with a generic interface that could
be useful to other application developers, and shepard that change
into the Django trunk. A good example of this approach is the recently
added user-contributed management commands, which will benefit all
user-contributed applications.

If your project becomes mature, offers some features that are
generally useful, has a healthy following, a history of being
regularly updated, and integrates well with the core feature set of
Django, it may be added as a contrib app at some time in the future.
Until that time, it should be useful as an external application by
anybody that finds it useful.

Django-registration [1] and django-openid [2] are good examples of how
to run your project. They are a standalone Django applications for
handling user account registration and OpenID logins, respectively.
Both serve as a good example of how to set up your project if you
wanted to make it a contrib app in the future.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if django-registration _doesn't_
become a contrib app - it encodes some specific business logic that
may not be suitable for everyone (it's a good app regardless - it's
just a question of whether it should be part of the Django core).

[1] http://code.google.com/p/django-registration
[2] http://code.google.com/p/django-openid

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)