Matt Davies wrote:
> Hi Ian
>

> I'm not very clued up with Java so solr, although I've built it to
> work on 3 sites now with django, they're still single indexes.  We've
> got over 200 sites in house that we're looking for a compelte search
> solution for.
>
> I think solr is definately the way to go, but as we're moving all our
> sites into django, then a one stop search application built in django
> to query all those sites would have been nice.  Especially if someone
> else had written it :-)
>
> See, I'm lazy really, but I think I'm going to have to learn java as
> my boss is also a rails fan, so Sorl is looking like the most likely
> candidate.
>
> I love it by the way, it's fab!

you don't need to learn java, just how to install tomcat.
configuring solr is a matter of editing a single XML file for the most
part, and your done.
sure, you can go under the covers and add some advanced functionality if
you want to, and you would need to know java to do that, but for the
majority of people its a black box, just like a mysql database is.

the client api (in python) means you can still use django for everything
else.

regards
Ian

ps. the facet search is a kicker, and once you get the hang of it, it
can replace a database query for TONs of things.