On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 11:16 -0400, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
[...]
> There are a lot of cases that Andreas' work doesn't cover, since REST is
> a very broadly applicable theory. That was one of the challenges of the
> project: working out what areas needed help and where we would just be
> adding constraints or creating equivalent amounts of work. As soon as
> you start to move to situations where your publically exposed resources
> don't map more or less one-to-one onto models, things become a lot
> trickier and we haven't quite solved that -- partly because I suspect
> it's not really solvable.

I just know somebody's going to say "yes it is", so I'll clarify: all
REST problems are relatively simple to implement. But trying to force
all cases into a framework such as django-rest-api is the part that I
think isn't neatly solvable. The nice solutions to one problem might
look quite different to the nice architecture of another problem and the
common intersection -- which is the bit a framework tries to capture --
isn't always very large. Django-rest-api nicely encapsulates the common
intersection for a particular group of problems and does that quite
well, but that group isn't the whole problem space. That was all I was
ineptly trying to say there.

Regards,
Malcolm