2007/10/7, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> The Resource class is quite as independent from everything as we would
> have liked. I say "we" here because towards the end of the SoC period,
> Andreas and I spent quite a long time trying to loosen a few of the
> couplings between output classes and the representation classes --
> Collection and Responder, in particular -- and we both felt it wasn't as
> neat as it could be, but we couldn't see how to improve it. That's
> probably still work in progress.

Yes, I have two issues here:
* The first one is about having an optional generic form because it's
a common use (at least for me) to have the create/update form in the
same page of the resource. I had to create my own BaseCollection and
BaseTemplateResponder to handle that case.
* The second is for adding a new function to the responder, I need to
curry this function in the __init__ of the Collection. Not really
elegant.

Unfortunately, I haven't a neat solution here...

> My own mental measuring stick during the whole project was to imagine a
> case where I was implementing Atom Publishing and using many models to
> represent what became a single article resource in the public interface
> (I have images, text, metadata, possibly a model with links in it for
> validation in the future, etc). You can fit this into Resource
> subclasses, but the amount of work you end up doing never really
> convinced me that the framework was helping me here. It felt like the
> same amount of work as if I did it from scratch, so where was the clear
> win in using the framework for this case and did it even feel wrong not
> to use it? Again, this isn't a mark against Andreas work, but was more a
> case of me trying to test the boundaries.

I agree, the other major headache is for resources which don't fit a
model. Maybe we can think about some basic examples for this part
because it's hard to speak about that without some concrete things.

> I should talk to Andreas about posting some of the discussions we had
> and where we left of on the wiki and creating a project mailing list so
> that other people can get in on the fun here.

Great idea, I'll be glad to help you (if I can).

Regards,
David