I'm one of those who participated in ticket #2145 discussion. I must
admit you have the most sane and comprehensive opinion I ever heard on
the 1-to-1 problem. Completely agreed on the every point.. And no, I
don't see any other way on practically extending the models for
natural and DRYish reusing the codebase.

Alas, I doubt we can do much about that. The maintainers don't seem to
care about 1-to-1. There's nothing wrong with them; that just happens
that they're not interested - there's plenty of other unresolved
issues with Django.

If we want to push the patches to trunk, first we need to do is to
examine bug reports on every patch, and either fix the patch, or prove
that the problem does not actually exist.