On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 14:26 -0800, SmileyChris wrote:
> On Nov 22, 10:48 pm, Ivan Sagalaev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > P.S. However I think you try to shoot yourself in the foot by tying
> > general unicode representation of an object to work only for HTML. I'd
> > rather leave it to some special filter.
>
> Probably. I'm definitely being lazy ;)
>
> But the bug is still just as valid for any object which uses
> __unicode__ to display it.
>
> For example, you had a Form which you wanted to run through a filter
> (for some reason)
> {{ form|some_html_parser_filter }}
> (sure, you can get around that too in this case by calling the method
> which __unicode__ does but you get the idea, right?)
>
> Maybe it's just a limitation which should be documented?

I've fixed it, after a fashion, in r6721.

Kind of annoying (the fix), because stringfilter was always kind of a
stupid decorator (it didn't save any lines of code), but now it has
genuine value as a way to handle this situation, so I can't hate it with
a passion any longer. So my whole universe has been slightly tilted
(even further).

Malcolm