On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 07:10 -0800, Ivan Illarionov wrote:
> Thank you. Now I have better understanding. I agree that I was too
> pessimistic and maybe had some wrong assumptions about this stuff. I
> didn't say that Django is not production-oriented I only mean that
> it's hard to extend Django with alternative database keeping the same
> production quality level.
>
> 1. On TextFelds and CharFields. The main problem in the existing
> django.contrib apps.

And every other third-party Django application on the planet. I can't
see that it's feasible to make this kind of change (adding max_length)
to TextField now. That ties everybody else to Firebird's restriction,
which isn't fair.

This might be one of those cases where you just need to document the
restriction in your backend's documentation and say that TextFields for
firebird will automatically have a maximum length of X for whatever
value "X" is.

> 2. How can I extend the field validation? I need to validate that user-
> defined model fits into index size and max row size limits depending
> on Firebird version and database page size.

Could you clarify this a bit more, please. I don't understand what
you're asking. Why aren't the normal field length validations enough
(except for TextField)? Is it a matter of making sure somebody doesn't
try to create a model that has fields which are too large in the first
place (which could be done by hooking into the class_prepared signal and
doing a quick pass over the fields at that point -- which is when the
model is imported -- to check for inconsistencies).

Imposing arbitrary restrictions on lengths isn't something that's built
in. Maybe it's needed, maybe not... I have no real opinion on that at
the moment. Need to understand the problem better.

> 3. I really need to look at queryset-refactor and use this branch as
> the base because it may solve the issues with custom table creation/
> deletion

At the moment, that code doesn't exist on the branch. It's on the list,
but not yet implemented.

Malcolm

--
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/