On Apr 4, 3:29 pm, "Marty Alchin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I admit I haven't been following this terribly closely, but now that
> both #5361 and #2070 are nearing completion, I'm trying to get a good
> handle on all of this in case there are any interactions between the
> two that I can help with.
Yeah, it's an interesting interaction. We can talk about this more on
IRC, but let me try to outline a few ideas here.
I see both 2070 (one half of it) and 5361 both doing the same thing:
representing files. However, they are representing files in different
stages of life.
One is tied to the database (#5361), and one can potentially be
half-written (#2070). I forsee a time when we actually merge these
into one, but I think should do this incrementally.

Let's look at the S3 uploading process. There are two ways we can
handle the upload and send to S3:

   1. Stream the data directly to S3.
   2. Stream the data to disk, then send to S3.

I think a lot of people might opt to do option (1). In this case, the
upload handler will need to stream it to the S3 directly, but it needs
to give request.FILES *something* that the user/forms/db layer can
interact with. In this case, I gave the example of an S3UploadedFile.
It has a size, a way to read data from it, and a filename. In light of
#5361, if your backend is S3FileBackend, I would imagine it would
notice the S3UploadedFile and say "Oh, saving this is trivial. Let me
just save attribute ____". But that doesn't mean you can't save a
normal file in the S3FileBackend, does it?

Again, this is a little tricky, and to get right you and I will have
to work out some more of the details. But I do see them as usefully
somewhat separate identities.

Cheers,
Mike