I'm pretty sure this has been beaten to death, and I was going to pass
on sending this in, but this paragraph made me ask, "What would it
hurt to ask?":

{% block quote %}
Unfortunately, sometimes you are not fully in control of the content
you produce. For example, this very blog, published with WordPress
tags. If you find yourself in this same boat, encourage your tools
vendors to provide support for generating valid HTML.
{% endblock %}

That came from this article which puts up some very strong points
regarding HTML and XHTML and browser rendering (preferring HTML4), and
points out that many leading web standards experts are also
recommending HTML4:
http://webkit.org/blog/68/understanding-html-xml-and-xhtml/

(Donning flame retardant suit b/c I'm sure I'll get flamed for being a
retard here...)

Is Django really the web framework for *perfectionists* if it, by
default, prefers the imperfect XHTML in newforms and the admin (and
other places)?  If not a complete switch, could we at least not make
those who are anal about outputting HTML4 not have to work[1]
harder[2] than[3] those who are ok XHTML?

-Rob

[1] http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/618/
[2] http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/716/
[3] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/6925