Probably not the place for this discussion, but...

On Jun 22, 3:08 pm, Ludvig Ericson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ambiguous in this context. Two perceptions exist:
>   - required=True means the field has to be set. Following HTML form
> logics, it always is.
>   - required=True means the required value is True.
>
> IMO, the latter case is the expected behavior, and indeed previous
> behavior. The only case that stands for the former is staying true to
> HTML form logics, which I personally think is outweighed by the
> latter's case, by far.

Actually, 'required' is an argument to the *Model* field constructor,
and models are *not* always initialized from html forms.  The field
certainly doesn't have to be represented as a checkbox in a form,
either.

Every other use of required=True for model fields, None is a failure,
success otherwise.  If you want to follow the principle of least
astonishment for BooleanField, then it should behave the same.  There
are other ways to achieve the goal of enforcing that a checkbox is
checked when validating a form.

Having read through that very contentious ticket, I think only a
dictum from BDFL's or the core will settle this one.

Wayne