On 25 kesä, 19:12, "Tom Tobin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All PostgresSQL supports in terms of *storage* is
> a fixedtimezoneoffset, not the actual zoneinfo name; this isn't
> very useful, and causes problems such as the above.

Actually, in PostgreSQL TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE does NOT store the
TIME ZONE! I found it out the hard way yesterday.

BTW, what we would need at the moment in our project would be a
DateTimeField with complete time zone support. It seems I have to both
write the Field type completely from scratch, and it seems it has to
be multi-column on MySQL (must store time in UTC, along with separate
textual time zone). Anyway, I believe that that approach together with
time zone aware datetime objects would get rid of lot of ambiguity and
problems for good.

To someone thinking about the problems involved with storing times in
local time: The reason why this is bad is the DST changes: on the last
Sunday of October in EU there's an extra hour added, with for example
times 3:00-3:59 occuring twice in EE(S)T zone. If you don't store the
time zone, hours 1:00-3:00 UTC will be ambiguous. Also, were you
storing local times in database, you could pretty easily ruin the
database if you decided to change the time zone in the model...