On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 5:55 AM, Antti Haapala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 25 kesä, 19:12, "Tom Tobin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> All PostgresSQL supports in terms of *storage* is
>> a fixedtimezoneoffset, not the actual zoneinfo name; this isn't
>> very useful, and causes problems such as the above.
>
> Actually, in PostgreSQL TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE does NOT store the
> TIME ZONE! I found it out the hard way yesterday.

Well, it stores the *offset*, which is virtually useless in real-world
applications.  All PostgreSQL TIMESTAMPs are stored internally as UTC.
 Since Django does everything with naive datetimes (a *huge* mistake
IMHO, and what I'm trying to correct), the Postgres backend stores
these in the database as per settings.TIME_ZONE, with that offset.  It
also retrieves as per that offset, back into naive datetimes.  If you
change settings.TIME_ZONE, you now get different naive datetimes back
with no way to distinguish them.  If you want to use multiple time
zones at the same time ... good luck, you'll need it.  ^_^

Check out the code in Bulbs (The Onion's open source code snippets)
for my current crack at this problem; we're about to push a major site
live with my "DateTimeZoneField", and I'd love to see something
similar make its way into Django:

https://launchpad.net/bulbs

It could use better documentation, which is on my to-do list as soon
as the APIs stabilize a tad.