On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 21:26 +0800, vcc wrote:
> Thanks for Russ Magee, I see.
>
> I just updated this backend, it's look like everything work fine for me. I
> have some projects working with this backend, I'll keep improve it. Please
> check the patch in the attachments.

So the best thing to do with a patch like this, rather than keep posting
it here (since, as Russell mentioned, it's not up for consideration of
committing to core at the moment), is to make it a proper external
database backend.

That means something that people can install anywhere on their Python
path and then just put it into the DATABASE_ENGINE setting. It's a bit
hard to read the patch you've attached, but it seems like you've made
some changes to core pieces of code (e.g. models/fields/__init__.py).
You should try to work out is the feature that is really needed there
and then open a ticket with a general solution that can be used by all
backends (and addition to DatabaseOperations, for example). For example,
think about whether it's really necessary to add a tablespace option to
the Field class or whether that can be part of the field column name
(e.g. as a tuple).

Ultimately, there should be no changes required to core for this after a
few tickets for missing features are opened and discussed. Remember that
we our goal is not to support every single feature of every database
backend, so don't go crazy with feature requests. We just support the
common stuff. But that's the right way forwards from here.

Regards,
Malcolm