On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:05 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have some code for processing the urlsconf so signals seems like the
> obvious tool. Apparently there is on server_started signal firing when
> configuration is complete(that would be a very nice signal to get into
> 1.0), so I try to use request_started.

I think you're running into conceptual problems with both the
"request_started" signal, and the architecture of Django itself.

The "request_started" signal simply means "an HTTP request has come
in, and processing of that request is beginning". As such, it fires on
*every* HTTP request/response cycle. So any function listening for
that signal will also execute on *every* HTTP request/response cycle.

Speaking more broadly, there's really no concept of "server started"
in Django, because Django stays fairly close to the nature of HTTP --
a stateless protocol built around request/response cycles. For some
notes on that and how to work with it, see this blog entry:

http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2007/nov/05/server-startup/