On Sep 10, 5:29 pm, "Rob Hudson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To avoid adding yet another setting (unless it's warranted here) can
> the setting of a doctype in a template tag set a value in
> django.conf.settings that django.forms can then check (with a
> reasonable default)?
>
> I recall seeing a patch that adds a new setting and updates (at the
> time) django.newforms with some if/else logic based on the setting to
> the various widgets' render methods.  I can't seem to find it now.
>
> I'm just trying to point out that for Django to output a string that
> then later gets "fixed" smells funny to me (ask Malcolm likes to say).

I completely agree, but I don't think the answer is to use a global
variable to influence django.forms. My plan for integration in to
Django proper was to modify Django's widget.render method to take an
optional as_xhtml=True/False argument. The {% form %} tag would then
set that argument based on context._doctype.

I would also modify Context to have an is_xhtml() method which does
the "self._doctype in xhtml_doctypes" check.