On Sep 22, 1:25 pm, Simon Willison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> CSRF[1] is one of the most common web application vulnerabilities, but
> continues to have very poor awareness in the developer community.
> Django ships with CSRF protection in the form of middleware, but it's
> off by default. I'm willing to bet most people don't turn it on.
>
> I don't believe middleware is the right way to approach this. It's too
> "magic" - it involves code that parses and re-writes your HTML as the
> response is being returned. It also means CSRF failures can't be
> gracefully handled - the middleware can throw up a big ugly error
> page, but ideally a CSRF failure would be treated the same way as a
> regular form validation error.

I just read this thread now, and by the end of it, things are looking
pretty complicated. Is it worth a gut check to make sure this is
worthwhile? Although the middleware might be a hack now, it seems
sensible that it fits in request/response areas rather than in forms:
you still need to go out of your way to add it anyway (so users won't
necessarily "turn it on"); it takes a lot more code; add in the
multiple forms per page question, and to me it seems like you've fixed
a problem by introducing another.
Finally, it doesn't take much to make a pretty message - something
like "You are under attack, close down your browser and try again"
with images of flaming people & such - for the (lets be realistic)
very rare cases when a CSRF attack occurs. All you need is a template,
right? (And I would consider sending an email  to the admin notifying
them that at attack was attempted, at least to get an idea of how
common these issues are.)

 -rob