On Nov 4, 2:33 am, "Russell Keith-Magee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Yes, there is a reason, and it has been given several times in recent
> history. The v1.0.1 milestone has not bee created in Trac because it
> will not in any way help us deliver the v1.0.1 release. There is no
> difference between the "list of all bugs' and the "list of bugs that
> we want to close for v1.0.1". We may not be successful in meeting this
> goal, but that doesn't change the underlying goal.
>
> In understand that twiddling milestone flags on tickets apparently
> gives some people the warm, satisfying feeling that they are helping.
> However, speaking as one of the core developers, it would be much more
> helpful for that effort to be directed towards actually triaging new
> tickets (validating that a bug exists, finding duplicates, correctly
> classifying tickets etc), writing patches, and testing those patches.
> These are the jobs that are hard to do, and aren't assisted by having
> a new milestone flag to fiddle with in Trac.

Except that most of the tickets that have been brought up in this
discussion already have patches, they just don't get the needed
attention from core devs. Which is of course understandable as Django
is a volunteer project. But the goal of fixing *all* bugs for 1.0.1 is
not realistic for exactly that reason, which is exemplified in
timeline (look at check-ins) -- apart from brosner's good work on
fixing the formset unique foreign key issues, there are only doc,
translation and CSS fixes in last 7 days. In last month, same pattern:
very few core and a lot of doc fixes. (Note that I'm not blaming
anyone here, it's quite understandable that devs are busy outside
Django -- it's just not fair to slap people with the standard "just
contribute patches to all bugs" answer in this light, especially if
they have already done so for bugs that they care for.)

Most other projects are managed by a priority queue and clear target
set for releases ("this has to go into 1.0.1, this can wait until
1.0.2"). No problem if discussions on the mailing list are the
preferred way of doing it instead of Trac tools -- until things really
get done.