On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Hanne Moa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 15:26, H. de Vries <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well, I searched around and it seems that a lot of people aren't too
> > happy with Python's default title() functionality. (
> >
> http://muffinresearch.co.uk/archives/2008/05/27/titlecasepy-titlecase-in-python/
> > )
> >
> > From a publishing point of view,
>
> Which publishing point of view? News? Tabloid? Scientific publication?
> Fiction? Other? From which country? If English, which English? At what
> point in time? Is there a house-style?
>
> It might be that Python's existing titlecasing reflects international
> usage, or Dutch usage (I'm not Dutch). Titlecasing is generally not
> used in my country however. So, this is a localization-question
> really.
>

> HM, helpful computational linguist
>

> As someone who works with AP Style and very much knows the limitations of
|title, I don't think we should change it. The current solution is eloquent,
well-known and, most of all, consistent. I think if too many exceptions are
put into the generic filters they will become less useful to the whole. It
isn't difficult and is well documented to write your own filters to handle
special cases that you might need, and that is what I do for the AP Style
filters that I need on a day to day basis.
Python's solution is consistent (no exceptions) and should be easy to
understand logically to the templater and will be familiar with a programmer
who might be templating. -1 to any changes that might mess up this balance
to the default filters.

My 2c, Michael