On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Johannes Dollinger
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm aware that #7806 propably does too much at once. I'd like to hear
> what's in scope for 1.1 and what you believe doesn't belong in django.

I'm actually pretty happy with the general idea you've taken here --
django.template needs some cleanup, and a holistic approach that
addresses the multiple issues at once is going to produce better code
than multiple patches all stacked up.

It seems most of the core team agrees -- it got 7 +0 votes. I think
the only reason it failed to get any +1s is that it's just a big
amount of work to review all at once. There's also the obvious
question of weather we can pull off this refactoring without breaking
backwards-compatibility.

I think the best thing to do with this is to take it to a branch so we
can easily evaluate it against the trunk templates. If you're down for
working on this off on a branch, I'm willing to help out and also
review your code.

> * The code shuffling is purely cosmetic, it just feels wrong to stuff
> everthing in __init__.py. It's already too big for my taste. And I
> honestly don't know how to cleanly split shuffling and functionality
> in separate patches.

Yeah, this is the big reason a branch would be better -- we can
separate the big deck-chair-shuffling from the refactoring and be able
to review better.

> * I always felt the API for custom tags is too verbose.

There's almost universal agreement on this point :)

It's unfortunately pretty tricky to do in a backwards-compatible way:
we've sorta pasted ourselves into a corner here by letting tags do
anything they want in terms of parsing. This lead to an inconsistency
in syntax that we (unfortunately) have to continue to support.

However, that's no reason not to have a better API on top that
third-party tags can use -- as long as internal tags don't break.

So: what do you say we make a template-cleanup branch and start
working on this over there?

Jacob