On Nov 27, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Tim Chase wrote:

> However, I haven't seen any/much expression of *want* that 2.4 be
> dropped any time in the near future (and there are a much larger
> number of 2.4 deployments).  I wouldn't schedule that "2.4 will
> be dropped in Django 1.3" timetable, but rather a similar lead-up
> process as 2.3 has experienced -- a JKM post of "dropping 2.4
> support.  Discuss" when 2.4 starts causing enough problems to be
> more trouble than it's worth.

I think a big point to remember here is that, while there isn't a
desire to drop 2.4 right now, it won't stay that way. With 3.0 coming,
I'm sure we're going to want to make the switch before long (6 months?
1 year?) During that time, you don't want to say  Python versions 2.4
and 2.5 will no longer be supported by django.

With a goal of 3.0 compatibility like James mentioned, you'll want to
provide a roadmap of upgrades. If I have to upgrade my RHEL 4 to RHEL
5 b/c django drops 2.3 support, and I get 2.4, then in 6 months you
want me to upgrade to get 2.5, then in another 6 months, upgrade to
2.6 / 3.0... you're going to make some sysadmins very unhappy.
Conversely, the ability to upgrade from 2.3 to 2.5 will make the
transition much easier because you know you're set for at least 2
releases (1+ year).

I'm +0 to dropping 2.3 support and +1 to having a deprecation roadmap
that spells out which versions will lose support and when.

  -justin