On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 12:57 -0700, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> One of the most requested features/howtos/how-comes/why-nots that show
> up on the Django users list is Access Control Lists, or row-level
> permissions. Almost always, the question is about how to get the admin
> app to use them. This is outside of the scope of the admin app, and
> that's usually the answer that is given.
>
> Would including a built-in contrib app that implements access control
> lists be outside the scope of Django?

It may not be. However, this isn't really the right question to ask. The
right question is "why has nobody built the kick-ass implementation that
everybody needing this is prepared to walk across hot coals to use
because it's so wonderful?" Something like this doesn't need to be in
Django. Maybe not ever, but certainly not initially. Django is designed
so that external applications are easy to develop and don't need core
modifications. If it's built and isn't included in Django, nobody is any
worse off, because it still exists.

For good reason, we try very hard not to give advance commitment to
acceptance of anything before it exists externally. There have
historically been some very rare exceptions, but are just that:
exceptions.

If, in the process of developing said application, problems appear that
justify generalisations of abstractions being made to core, discussions
appear here and things happen. That has happened in the past and will
happen again in the future. In this case, for example, it might turn out
that some kind of subclass overriding isn't possible in the admin and
making something finer-grained to allow extensions might not be a bad
idea.

I'm also thinking that requiring evidence of people walking across hot
coals in order to use an application is probably a good pre-requisite
for inclusion in django.contrib.

Regards,
Malcolm