Jeff Anderson wrote:
> One of the most requested features/howtos/how-comes/why-nots that show
> up on the Django users list is Access Control Lists, or row-level
> permissions. Almost always, the question is about how to get the admin
> app to use them. This is outside of the scope of the admin app, and
> that's usually the answer that is given.
>
> Would including a built-in contrib app that implements access control
> lists be outside the scope of Django?
>
> I figure a design similar to the current admin site will be needed to
> create a generic ACL subsystem. An access list would be defined for each
> app, similar to how an admin site is defined in admin.py. I'm willing to
> spend some time on this, but I'd like any opinions as to the best way to
> implement it before I spend more than a weekend or two on this idea.
>
> I don't think that there is a Django ACL implementation quite like I
> have in mind. Most ACL functionality I imagine is written in views that
> go with a specific app. A standard implementation of ACL in contrib one
> would allow for more pluggable pluggable apps.
>
> Let me know what you think!
>
> Thanks!
>

> Jeff Anderson

About a year ago I started writing something to solve this problem, but
never got past version 0.001 alpha:
http://code.google.com/p/dumps/

The basic idea is to create a new PermissionedModel class, that can be
used just as the standard Model. The PermissionedModel automatically
checks if the current user has permissions to do some operation (View,
Create, Update, Delete, or possibly some custom operation). Permissions
are defined using a quite lax syntax, which should allow for row-based,
column-based, or any filter-based permissions.

If there anyone wants to help get this project going again, or willing
to test it in some semi-production environment, let me know :)

Regards,
tie