Yes, I like the idea of a callback that can be overridden.  Alex - are
you saying this is an ajax solution or a solution that takes place at
formset creation time?

Also, in the rendered output for a field, think it would be nice for
non-editable fields to have ids associated with them the same way that
editable fields have ids.   In the ajax usage case - imagine a case
where you have a continent field rendered that is *not*  editable, and
based on some other event (ie, a check box), you then want to send an
ajax request to populate the country dropdown to contain all countries
in the continent.  It is not easy to send the country value as part of
an ajax request because its field in the form has no id at all.

Margie