I can appreciate the need for this setting (among other things, it
might make migrating URLs from systems where this is more standard
(e.g., Drupal) simpler), but I wouldn't go so far as to talk about an
"illusion".

Unless we're proposing to remove all slashes from all URLs--which is
certainly possible with our URL system--there's always going to be
some hint of that, but I think the slashes represent a hierarchy more
than they do a directory structure. Sure, directories were a big
influence on why the slashes ended up there in the first place, but I
don't think anyone is sufficiently taken by this "illusion" that they
think there's actually a file called "2b6a459329fe498a" in a folder
called "thread" when they read this discussion...

-Justin